The anti-graft court maintains that the late Muntinlupa mayor Maximino Argana's income as an official – even when combined with the earnings of his wife – was disproportionate to the value of the real estateThe anti-graft court maintains that the late Muntinlupa mayor Maximino Argana's income as an official – even when combined with the earnings of his wife – was disproportionate to the value of the real estate

Sandiganbayan upholds forfeiture of over 200 properties of late Muntinlupa mayor

2025/11/26 09:00
5 min read

MANILA, Philippines – The Sandiganbayan has upheld its ruling declaring over 200 titled properties under the estate of the late Muntinlupa mayor Maximino Argana as ill-gotten and forfeiting them in favor of the government.

The anti-graft court rejected a petition filed by the Argana family seeking to overturn its August 18 decision, noting that the late mayor’s income as a local official – even when combined with the earnings of his wife – was “manifestly disproportionate” to the value of the real estate he amassed while in office.

“Considering Respondents’ failure to justify how they were able to acquire said properties out of their lawful income, the same are therefore considered to have been unlawfully acquired and should be forfeited in favor of the State,” the court said.

The 19-page resolution dated November 24, penned by Associate Justice Ronaldo Moreno, upheld the anti-graft court’s finding that the family failed to show the properties were obtained lawfully. Two other associate justices – Edgardo Caldona and Karl Miranda, chair of the Sandigan’s 3rd Division, concurred.

“The respondents failed to present sufficient evidence that would show the circumstances for their purchase of the properties listed in the Petition, as well as their financial ability to make the acquisitions,” read part of the ruling.

In declaring the covered assets as unexplained wealth, the Sandiganbayan said the combined value of the real properties amounted to P4.14 million while personal assets, including investments in a lending firm and a property development company, were valued at P1.72 million.

The court said Argana’s salaries as mayor over 15 years amounted to only P392,228.53, with allowances totaling P183,700. His wife, who worked as a teacher and later a school principal, earned P159,417.14 from 1964 to 1986.

Argana had been Muntinlupa’s mayor during the administration of the late dictator Ferdinand E. Marcos. He led the then-municipality from 1964 to 1967 and from 1972 until his death in June 1985. It was during that period when he accumulated the landholdings subsequently targeted by a 1987 recovery petition filed by the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG).

‘Fraudulent settlement’

In 1997, or a decade later, the government nearly ceded the Argana estate in a deal that exposed the vulnerability of its own watchdogs to manipulation and deceit. Investigators later described the arrangement as a fraudulent settlement between the late mayor’s heirs and six PCGG officials.

In 2015, then-ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales held six former PCGG officials accountable for their role in drafting the rescinded agreement: ex-chairman Magtanggol Gunigundo, commissioners Reynaldo Guiao, Hermilo Rosal, Julieta Bertuben and Herminio Mendoza, and former director Mauro Estrada. No case appears to have been filed against the officials before the Sandiganbayan to date.

Under Gunigundo’s watch, the PCGG signed a compromise agreement with the Argana family that proposed a 75-25 split of the disputed assets, with the larger share intended for the national government. The deal allocated 361.92 hectares – or 75.1% of the family’s combined 481.774-hectare holdings – to the state.

Then-president Fidel Ramos approved the agreement on May 27, 1998, and the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) signified its conformity on June 15. The Sandiganbayan approved the deal on July 31, 1998.

But the anti-graft court subsequently rescinded the deal on April 11, 2000, after a new set of PCGG and OSG lawyers argued that the government had been misled into accepting terms heavily favoring the Argana family.

Based on their findings, the government’s supposed 75.12% share was valued at only P3.62 million in farm lands, much of which was slated for coverage under the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program.

By contrast, the Arganas’ retained share was estimated at least P4 billion in 1998.

The family tried to enforce the compromise agreement, but the Supreme Court blocked the move in 2004, calling the aborted deal “a virtual sell-out.”

The properties covered by the forfeiture order include:

  • 224 lots in the old Barrio Bagbagan, Alabang, Muntinlupa, in the names of spouses Maximino Argana and Donata Almendrala
  • 10 lots in Laguna, also in the names of the couple
  • 19 lots in the names of Maria Remedios, Maria Felicidad, and Maria Dorotea Argana
  • Two properties in the names of spouses Milagros and Juanito Rogelio
  • One property in the names of spouses Gelacio and Rosario Argana
  • Five lots under the property development company Refedor Southgold Property Management and Development Corp.
  • Three properties in Calamba and San Pedro, Laguna, also registered to Refedor Southgold Property
  • Three properties in Putatan and Tunasan, Muntinlupa, in the names of the late mayor and his widow, and one in San Pedro, Laguna
  • One property in Tunasan, Muntinlupa, in the names of spouses Luis and Rosario Argana
  • One property in Muntinlupa in the names of spouses Pedro and Amelia Marquinez

The court also seized shares of stocks for the national government:

  • Sampaguita Savings and Loan Association Incorporated, listed under mayor Argana’s name
  • 5,000 shares of Refedor, listed in the names of the mayor, his wife, and three children

Rappler.com

Market Opportunity
RealLink Logo
RealLink Price(REAL)
$0.05324
$0.05324$0.05324
+1.60%
USD
RealLink (REAL) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact [email protected] for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

Bitcoin Has Taken Gold’s Role In Today’s World, Eric Trump Says

Bitcoin Has Taken Gold’s Role In Today’s World, Eric Trump Says

Eric Trump on Tuesday described Bitcoin as a “modern-day gold,” calling it a liquid store of value that can act as a hedge to real estate and other assets. Related Reading: XRP’s Biggest Rally Yet? Analyst Projects $20+ In October 2025 According to reports, the remark came during a TV appearance on CNBC’s Squawk Box, tied to the launch of American Bitcoin, the mining and treasury firm he helped start. Company Holdings And Strategy Based on public filings and company summaries, American Bitcoin has accumulated 2,443 BTC on its balance sheet. That stash has been valued in the low hundreds of millions of dollars at recent spot prices. The firm mixes large-scale mining with the goal of holding Bitcoin as a strategic reserve, which it says will help it grow both production and asset holdings over time. Eric Trump’s comments were direct. He told viewers that institutions are treating Bitcoin more like a store of value than a fringe idea, and he warned firms that resist blockchain adoption. The tone was strong at times, and the line about Bitcoin being a modern equivalent of gold was used to frame American Bitcoin’s role as both miner and holder.   Eric Trump has said: bitcoin is modern-day gold — unusual_whales (@unusual_whales) September 16, 2025 How The Company Went Public American Bitcoin moved toward a public listing via an all-stock merger with Gryphon Digital Mining earlier this year, a deal that kept most of the original shareholders in control and positioned the new entity for a Nasdaq debut. Reports show that mining partner Hut 8 holds a large ownership stake, leaving the Trump family and other backers with a minority share. The listing brought fresh attention and capital to the firm as it began trading under the ticker ABTC. Market watchers say the firm’s public debut highlights two trends: mining companies are trying to grow by both producing and holding Bitcoin, and political ties are bringing more headlines to crypto firms. Some analysts point out that holding large amounts of Bitcoin on the balance sheet exposes a company to price swings, while supporters argue it aligns incentives between miners and investors. Related Reading: Ethereum Bulls Target $8,500 With Big Money Backing The Move – Details Reaction And Possible Risks Based on coverage of the launch, investors have reacted with both enthusiasm and caution. Supporters praise the prospect of a US-based miner that aims to be transparent and aggressive about building a reserve. Critics point to governance questions, possible conflicts tied to high-profile backers, and the usual risks of a volatile asset being held on corporate balance sheets. Eric Trump’s remark that Bitcoin has taken gold’s role in today’s world reflects both his belief in its value and American Bitcoin’s strategy of mining and holding. Whether that view sticks will depend on how investors and institutions respond in the months ahead. Featured image from Meta, chart from TradingView
Share
NewsBTC2025/09/18 06:00
Ronin Price Prediction 2026-2030: A Strategic Deep Dive into RON’s Critical Juncture

Ronin Price Prediction 2026-2030: A Strategic Deep Dive into RON’s Critical Juncture

BitcoinWorld Ronin Price Prediction 2026-2030: A Strategic Deep Dive into RON’s Critical Juncture As the blockchain gaming sector enters a pivotal phase of maturation
Share
bitcoinworld2026/02/17 19:30
Zcash Wallet Rebrands After Internal Split

Zcash Wallet Rebrands After Internal Split

The post Zcash Wallet Rebrands After Internal Split appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Zashi Becomes Zodl: Zcash Wallet Rebrands After Internal Split
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2026/02/17 19:40